HLS Lambda/JLG 35th Anniversary Colloquium:
A Retrospective and a Way Forward:
LGBTQ Rights and Activism at Harvard Law School and Beyond
Friday, October 18, 2013, 2:00 p.m.
Austin Hall, North, Harvard Law School
1515 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA
Please RSVP HERE! Join the Facebook event here.
Come celebrate the 35th anniversary of an LGBTQ student group at HLS with Lambda and the Harvard Journal of Law and Gender! The colloquium will open with an introduction by Dean Martha Minow and a conversation about being LGBTQ at HLS throughout the years between three former Lambda presidents (including the original founder of COGLI, Lambda's predecessor), hosted by current president John Dey. The colloquium will continue with a panel discussing the road to marriage equality, after which we will discuss what's next for the LGBTQ movement. A partial list of panel guests include:
- Laurence Tribe, Carl M. Loeb University Professor, Harvard Law School (argued Bowers v. Hardwick)
- Paul Smith, Partner, Jenner & Block (argued Lawrence v. Texas)
- Prof. Jose Gomez, ’81, Founder, COGLI (Lambda's predecessor)
- Prof. Bradley Sears,’95, Director, Williams Institute at UCLA Law
- Chai Feldblum, Commissioner, U.S. EEOC
- Pat Brady, former Chairperson, Illinois GOP, currently consulting for the ACLU on marriage equality in IL
Dinner will begin at 6:30, and a keynote will be delivered by Roberta Kaplan, counsel for Edie Windsor in United States v. Windsor, which overturned § 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act. See attached flier for details.