The Harvard Journal of Law & Gender Presents
Transcending Barriers: Strategies for Change in Transgender Rights
Friday, March 30, 2012 from Noon to 5:30PM in Austin North
This symposium will feature current academic discourse concerning the important issue of transgender rights analyzed through various themes, including the evolution of laws regarding trans rights, marriage, health, immigration, and education.
Keynote by Dean Spade, Assistant Professor, Seattle University School of Law
1:00 pm Panel 1: Evolution of Laws
Topics include the evolution of trans protection laws, the importance of changes in language in legislation relating to trans issues, and the possibility of applying the concept of restorative justice to gender based crimes against trans individuals.
- C. Quince Hopkins, Assistant Professor of Law, Florida Coastal School of Law
- Jennifer Levi, Transgender Rights Project Director, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD)
- Micahel Silverman, Founder and Executive Director, Trans Legal Defense and Education Fund
Moderator: Libby Adler, Professor of Law, Northeastern University School of Law.
2:10 pm Panel 2: Marriage and Health
Topics include the legal treatment of pre-transition laws post transition, clinical approaches to children labeled gender dysphoric or sexually atypical and ensuing legal tangles, the impact of gender divisions on children playing sports, and access to healthcare for incarcerated trans individuals.
- Shawn Crincoli, Associate Professor of Law, Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
- Alice Dreger, Professor of Clinical Ethics, Humanities and Bioethics, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
- Kyle Palazzolo, Associate at Jenner & Block
Moderator: I. Glenn Cohen, Assistant Professor of Law, Harvard Law School.
3:20 pm Panel 3: Immigration
Topics include issues inherent to the current process of immigration in the United States, as well as the lasting impact of immigration and related laws for trans individuals.
- Pooja Gehi, Director of Litigation, Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- Victoria Neilson, Legal Director of Immigration Equality and Adjunct Professor of the LGBT Rights Clinic at NYU Law
Moderator: Sabrineh Ardalan, Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School.
4:25 pm Panel 4: Education and Schools
Topics include issues sometimes faced by trans individuals within the United States education system, specifically including bullying, Title IX protections and its effect on women’s college admissions, and the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition’s work on the Massachusetts Transgender Equal Rights Bill.
- Elizabeth Glazer, Associate Professor of Law, Hofstra University Maurice A. Deane School of Law
- Katherine Kraschel, 3L, Harvard Law School
- Gunner Scott, Executive Director, Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition
- Stevie Tran, 2L, Hofstra Universtiy Maurice A. Deane School of Law
Moderator: Diane Rosenfeld, Lecturer on Law, Harvard Law School.
Cosponsors for this symposium include:
Platinum: Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
Silver: Jenner & Block
Bronze: Goodwin Procter
Also Cosponsoring: Harvard ACS, ACLU, CRCL, Health Law & Health Care Society, Immigration Project, LSRJ, LAMDA, WLA, and Lexis Nexis